RIP Gypsy. How De-Icing our roads, can kill our pets.

RIP Gypsy… You were a beautiful girl, who’s life ended far too soon. Due to indifference and lack of shared knowledge, you paid the ultimate price. I’m hoping this blog post will save dozens of dogs just like you..

Wake-up Call #1:

Never assume that Just because you don’t use nasty chemicals on your property, that those chemicals won’t flow down stream in to your mud puddles and streams. Just because you don’t use these poisons yourself, doesn’t mean that the State in which you reside or the County that you vote in and their overworked, Department of Transportation, won’t come by and poison your land, your pond, or your only beloved dog.



That’s exactly what happened to Gypsy. Some well meaning, DOT worker, De-Iced the road.  Gypsy paid the ultimate price and because Gypsy’s owners were not  home at the time the road was treated, they had no idea what Gypsy might have been exposed to.

This breaks my heart.

I had one of those, too close to process, events, with Java in December. Scared the holy S%@t  out of me.  I’m not ready to write about it yet. When I am, I’ll let you know and we’ll bawl our eyes out together.  I’m the lucky one.  My dog made it.  Gypsy didn’t.

Please don’t let your pet near chemical de-icer’s.   Chemical De-Icer’s are typically Propylene Glycol or Ethylene Glycol, based. (This is very similar to the chemical make-up if antifreeze, often having the sweet flavor that many dogs are drawn to.)

The other common versions of De-Icer’s consist of combinations of Rock Salt,  (NaCl,) Sodium Chloride or Magnesium Chloride, (MgCl2. )  All of which can cause irreversible, terminal, kidney damage if ingested by your BFF (Best Furry Friend.)

I am posting this today because I realize the disconnect in information here.  If I haven’t thought about the harm that could come to my dogs because the icy road was cleared, then who is advocating for the innocent dogs of the world? 

I’m not suggesting you boycott lifesaving, de-icing services provided by your State or County, but I am suggesting that you keep your dog away from those area’s, until well after those chemical de-icer’s have done their “thing,” and until all potential toxins have been cleaned up..

Chlorides can irritate paws causing redness, irritation, swelling and rashes.. Irritated paws get licked, if it lingers on the tongue, it’s heading for the bum. I suggest that you keep some baby wipes near the front door and  wipe your dog’s paws nightly, especially during winter months or any time that they may come in contact with de icer’s, fertilizers, pesticides or other toxins.

After ingestion, a dog may act drunk and very thirsty.  Anytime your dog is not acting “normally,” (especially if they’re lethargic or lazy, or acting intoxicated,) don’t hesitate, RUN,  these are the behaviors a dog owner never wants to see. Get thee to the Vet, pronto.  More symptoms in the attached link.

A dog’s system, simply cannot process these glycols or chlorides safely.  At a bare minimum, if your dog ingests this stuff, he or she is going to be very ill. This illness will cost you hundreds of dollars if you catch it within the first 4 hours.  24 hours or Later, chances are not very good. as organs are likely already shutting down. 

Please share with friends and family in the “Cold Weather States.”  All pets are loved family members and if this helps to save just one dog, then my friend and her BFF are already changing the world..

RIP Gypsy.  Stay safe C’elleace and thank you for bringing this to our attention.  I pray that Gypsy is the last dog that will succumb to these toxins..

Symptoms of De-Icer poisoning in dogs:

Additional information and other, de=icing options.



About adventuredogs

I'm the "Alpha Dog's" wife... Life Partner and Co-owner of Adventure Dog Ranch, The Vacation Destination for Dogs! A place where canines socialize, exercise and have fun. You don't have to feel guilty when you take a vacation, your dog can have his very own vacation with us!
This entry was posted in Adventure Dog Ranch, Canine Training, Danger to dogs, Dangers to dogs, dog behavior, Dog Behavior, Dog Training, Saying Goodbye to a pet, Traveling with Dogs and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s